Legal sampling is definitely coming into it’s own.
Sure I’ve been away for a long time but I think you’ll find it was worth it because I’ve been hard at work (yes, actually work) with Creative Commons to create a remix site that isn’t quite like any other. Picture ACIDPlanet + RemixFight + Friendster and you get http://ccmixter.org.
We’re still in BETA but it’s relatively solid so we are opening the site to the public to participate.
There’s a lot to say about it so let me just list it all out:
- For the site’s launch we’re using the CC licensed tracks from the WIRED Magazine CD that hit the stands a few weeks ago. On the CD is none other than:
- David Byrne
- The Beastie Boys
- Chuck D. with Fine Arts Militia
- Danger Mouse & Jemini
- Gilberto Gil
- Thievery Corporation
- …a bunch of other people you probably know I wasn’t really aware of…
All of these artists have donated the tracks to the Commons using the Sampling+ and Non-Commercial-Sampling+ licenses. All of the tracks are available as VBR MP3s from CC Mixter and loss-less version are at the Internet Archive.
- We’ll soon be announcing a remix contest using any of those tracks with fabulous gifts and prizes for the winner.
- We still haven’t gotten broken out solo tracks but without a whole lot of effort I managed to get over 100 ACIDized loops from the CD tracks and uploaded all of them to CC Mixter.
- Even beyond the WIRED CD, the contest and loops, the site itself is pretty neat because it’s all built around sampling and remixing. Every track uploaded by one artist can be downloaded by another and posted back using our “Post Reply Remix” feature. We keep track of all associations and make it easy to follow the ‘chain’ of samples and remixes throughout the site. Of course you can sample many sources and we have easy ways of marking that and a great user interface for showing all that off. You’ll just have to check it out yourself to see what I mean.
- If all goes well CC Mixter will be a great way to make connections for collaborating because of our cross-linking between participants based on likes, talents and specialties. (Again, you’ll just have to see it in action)
So, go create an account, download some tracks, either the Wired CD cuts or anything else you find up there, remix it, and post it back up.
And when you find bugs ping the forums on the site.